UGC has issued guidelines that gives complete information about the academic year for higher educational institutions through the publicly released notification dated 16-July-2021. The same is enclosed below.
Detailed guidelines are specified in this document below enclosed. The 7 point guidelines throw light on various important aspects that are important for students as well as institutions. It gives the much needed clarity on the steps to be taken ahead.
1. Admissions process can only begin after July 31, 2021 (refer to point # 1 in the UGC Guidelines to know why)
2. Admissions process for the Undergraduate first year courses to conclude NO LATER than September 30, 2021.
3. Academic year to begin from October 1, 2021.
4. Inputs to be considered to work out the academic calendar by higher educational institutions
5. Rule laid down to adhere - full refund of fees should be made on account of all cancellations of admissions/ migrations of students up to October 31, 2021 for the academic session 2021- 2022 as a special case.
6. The guidelines issued by the UGC on April 29, 2020 and July 6, 2020 highlighting the modes of teaching, conduct of examinations, importance of physical & social distancing etc. shall remain in force (and the latest guidelines prevail in case of any conflict).
7. The present guidelines are subject to the advisories/directives issued by the apex statutory bodies/councils concerned, e.g., AICTE, NCTE, BCI, NMC, DCI, INC, PCI, AYUSH etc. regarding examinations and academic calendars.
Earlier in June 2021, the Union Government represented by Attorney General submitted to the Supreme Court that "U.G.C. will be issuing necessary instructions to ensure that the admission process by the colleges and institutions should commence only after the declaration of results by the C.B.S.E. and I.C.S.E., including the State Boards.".
This publication of the Guidelines by UGC is in accordance to the submission made in the Supreme Court.